Having a dog in your life can be such a source of joy, but it can also be a cause of frustration when the dog is untrained — this is especially true with a new puppy! Puppies are too young to understand the difference between good and bad. You can yell at a puppy all day, but they simply do not have the cognitive ability to comprehend.
Puppies have short attention spans but are able to begin learning basic obedience commands at a young age. Here at Sorenson Kennels, we have over 65 years of experience training dogs and puppies. Contact us to enroll your pup in our Puppy Training Program and receive the best care in Missouri!
What Is the Puppy Training Program?
We have refined our program into a 3-week, on-leash session that allows our trainers to give your puppy the attention it needs. We make the entire process simple and stress-free for you and your puppy.
- Drop your puppy off at our facility that sits on a beautiful 50+ acres.
- Over the 3-week boarding, your puppy will live in luxury and enjoy our 17’x5’ kennel runs, as well as receive the proper socialization.
- Your puppy will be taught by our team of experienced trainers using positive reinforcement methods and food rewards.
- After the 3-week training program is completed, you will pick your puppy up and witness the new skills it has learned!
Our team of dedicated trainers will teach your puppy obedience commands including:
- Recall (come)
- Place (stay)
- Loose leash walking
Puppy misbehavior will also be addressed, which includes:
- Leash pulling
- Counter surfing
Why Training Your Puppy Is Needed
Along with commands and behaviors, it is important to begin training early so your puppy will become socialized. This will help ensure your puppy is comfortable with humans and other dogs. Proper socialization can help your puppy avoid developing fears and phobias such as children or riding in cars.
Overall, training your puppy is an important step in being a dog owner and will ensure your pet develops into a well-mannered, happy companion.
What Comes After Puppy Training?
After completing the training program, your puppy will be developmentally ready to begin learning additional new skills. We recommend Basic Obedience next. This will continue to develop your dog’s skills, but the difference between puppy training and adult basic obedience is that it focuses on effective corrections and less on positive reinforcement/rewards since older dogs have the cognitive ability to understand good from bad.
Helpful Tips For New Puppy Owners
- Puppies are a lot of work and you may find yourself feeling overwhelmed by your new pup — don’t worry, you’re not alone! Here are some puppy tips that Sorenson has learned throughout the years:
- Get your puppy accustomed to being touched on its feet, face, legs, mouth, etc. It will help on trips to the vet or groomer.
- Don’t encourage behavior that you’ll regret when they’re older and bigger. For example, a tiny puppy jumping on people is cute, but it won’t be when it’s 60 pounds.
- Bitter apple spray is used as an anti-chew device. It is non-toxic and won’t stain carpet or fabric so it is commonly used on items and even on your pup’s irritated skin to prevent them from aggravating it more.
- Baby gates can help teach your puppy what areas of the house are off-limits.
- Rotate through the dog toys. Let your puppy have two or three toys at a time and change up the toy selection every now and then to keep your pup interested.
- Avoid retractable leashes. They can snap, and they actually encourage dogs to pull.
- When potty training, associate a term with when the pup starts going, such as “Go potty” or “Hurry up.”
- Pick a potty spot. If you don’t want your dog poo-ing all over the yard as an adult, pick one area and take your puppy directly there when it’s potty time.
- Start driving your puppy in the car early if you want them to like the car and not get car sick.
- Be consistent with your puppy. To avoid confusion, all family members should use the same name and not a nickname or shortened version, and follow the same set of rules for what they allow the pup to do.
Best Puppy Boarding and Training Facility
Sorenson Kennels takes pride in being Missouri’s finest puppy boarding and training facility for over 65 years. Start your puppy’s development off right with the help of our passionate trainers! Contact us today to enroll in our Puppy Training Program.